Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cold Big Sur(f)

I joined Joel and a high school buddy of his, John, for the annual pilgrimage to southern Big Sur. The weather was unstable but we braved it anyway. Met two of Johns friends at Plaskett campground. First day, very cold, huge surf and strong winds. We combed the beach for jade, a Big Sur tradition. I found lots of green rocks, but I don't think any jade. I needed to get some surf and get pounded so I paddled into a frothy pit and scraped for a few waves, but got the pump and felt much better. Saturday was lazy. Long breakfast, check the surf spots, still too messed up, then a drive deep into the Big Sur back country and a hike down to a creek. Another evening jade hunt and more beef and whiskey. Sunday, so much warmer, no wind, and smaller, but still strong, surf. Nice mid-morning surf at Willow Creek: big faces into shallow boney boulders. Here are additional pics from the TRIP.

John and Joel "sharing" Willow Creek.

No comments: