Monday, March 23, 2009

Ohlone Skills

JASPER SAYS: These are pictures of when I went to Lake Merced with class to do Ohlone skills. The Ohlone were the native people of San Francisco. We have been studying them for a pretty long time now. We have learned a lot about their culture, where they lived, how they traded, and and how they made food and weapons. Learning about the Ohlone is fun.
This is me holding the lizard that I caught at Lake Merced.

This is me shooting an example of an Ohlone bow and arrow.

This is me playing an Ohlone game where you have to throw the spear through the hoop.

This is me grinding walnuts the way the Ohlone did, but they didn't use that exact mortar and pestle. They used ones made out of granite. Mr. Rich has a real Ohlone mortar and pestle. They also did not grid walnuts they ground acorns.

This is me trying to make fire the way Ohlone did. We have never made fire because you have to work a long time. Mr. Rich has actually made fire before, I think. I made smoke.

This is me setting up a trap that I made up. I thought this was suppose to be the kind of trap that the Ohlone made, but it wasn't.
This is Mr. Rich and our class putting water over the walnut flour to pretend that we are trying to remove the tanic acid in the acorns, but we were using walnuts. The way you get the tanic acid out is by putting grass over the ground, then pouring the acorn flour over the grass, and then pouring water over the flour.

No comments: