Sunday, March 16, 2008

Red Rock Crocks


Calico Hills at sunset on Day 1.
After a very productive work week in Las Vegas, George, Gabe, Stacy, Matt, and Ernesto (from Italy), joined Amos for a weekend of climbing on the gorgeous aeolian sandstone of Red Rock Canyon. Red Rock Canyon is a blissful counterpoint to the prefabricated money machine of the Las Vegas Strip, and is one of my most favorite climbing areas on the planet. I first came to Red Rocks in 1988 with Lon and Lisa and it was a mainstay of my life for about eight years. I have not been here to climb in almost 10 years. Being back here with family and old and new friends warms my heart and brings me full circle again in the spiral of a life.
CrockerBoy George and Charlie on the Calico steeps.
First day we spent in the Calico Hills happily hang-dogging bolted sport routes. For moderate beginner routes, the Tuna and Chips wall was perfect. Next day we headed to Willow Springs Canyon at a higher elevation and climbed east side of the Ragged Edges area. I lead a scary 5.8+ protected by slung chicken heads on friable rock. Everyone got plenty of time on the rock, though we all got a bit cold when the sun ran over to the other side of the canyon.

GO TEAM!! George, Gabe, Ernesto, Stacy, Charlie

This brings me to the third of my 3 favorite climbing spots in the last year: Yosemite, Joshua Tree, and Red Rocks. Climbing is again part of my life... care to join me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks gorgeous! 3 for 3, Charlie. Well done.

George said...

Can you send/post pictures? Thanks again for the fun weekend!